A combination of factors typically contribute to hearing loss
Preabycusis – Age Related
* Result of aging process or extended exposure to enviromental noise factors throughout a lifetime.
* Permanent change in inner ear.
Sociocusis – Noise Induced
* Damage to hair cells and cochlea.
* Occurs suddenly or gradually.
* Approximately 26 million Americans between the ages of 20 and 69 have high-frequency hearing loss due to exposure to loud sounds or noise at work or in leisure activities.
Congenital – Genetic
*Results from a family history of hearing loss or predisposition.
Ototoxicity – Drug Related
*There are 200 plus know ototxic (toxic to the ears) prescription and over-the-counter medications on the market today.
This list includes:
*Some anticance drugs